Let us start by stating the obvious, Memorial Day Weekend is the kickoff to summer. Growing up in New England “Spring” is a flexible season but Memorial Day marks the start of beach season which puts a smile on everyone’s face. But Memorial Day is good for more than just check point on a calendar.
- You can finally pull those white shoes and pants out of your closet! Now I am not the poster child for following this outdated rule. I’ll let you in on a secret, I wear white year round. But for those of you who observe fashionista law, you rock those white heels! White sundresses for everyone!
- The Lilly Gift with Purchase Sale! A beach ball, beach towel, beach chairs, umbrella, hammock I want them all.
- The Jack Rogers Sale! God is it a good weekend to be a preppy, the Jack Rogers website is having a great sale all weekend but my local Nordstrom also has Jack Rogers on sale right now so be sure to check out both spots for the best deals!
- Vineyard Vines Buy Two get One, and 30% off Sale! Buy two polos, shorts, or swim wear and get a third free! VV is also doing 30% off sale items right now, this is at the retail stores the outlets have different deals going on but equally awesome!
- The Boston Common. If you live in Boston you may be aware of this tradition but if you’re not you should definitely take a walk over to The Common this weekend and check out the 37,000 American flags plants in the lawn. The flags represent Massachusetts military heroes, it is truly a remarkable sight if you get the chance. It is a good reminder about what this weekend is really all about.
While the sales and the beach are great, it is important to remember the men and women of our military that have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Thank you to all the veterans, active members of the military and their families.
Happy Memorial Day Weekend Everyone!
New England is a unique place, no matter how long you live here no matter how many times you visit New England can still surprise you. I have been visiting Newport Rhodes Island since I was little but still every time I am there it is a completely new experience. This weekend I stumbled across the most adorable little church I have ever seen! I was on my way to my favorite winery for a tasting and couldn’t believe that I had never seen it before! It was a cloudy weekend in Newport but we still made the best of it, everyone should try to visit at least once this summer. I am already planning to return in search of more hidden gems like this little church!
This weekend I’ll be heading down to Newport, Rhodes Island! If you’ve never been you have to go, when you think of the perfect picturesque New England town you probably are picturing Newport, you just don’t know it!
Last time I was in Newport I took advantage of the historic sight seeing and I checked out the mansions, or “summer cottages” as the millionaires who used to own them referred to them as. If you go during the summer you can see the gorgeous landscaping outside and do the cliff walk and check out all the mansions. I have never been during Christmas but I am definitely going to try and go this December to see them all decked out for the holidays! Number 1 favorite is The Breakers, former mansion/cottage of the Vanderbilts.
Take a walk down Thames Street and pop into all the adorable little shops you would expect to find in a picturesque New England town. Grab a bite to eat and have some cocktails! I can’t wait for this upcoming weekend in Newport, there will be sailing, cocktails, shopping and plenty of pictures for you all when I get back! Here are a few from last years trip to Newport.
Last night I submitted my final paper by midnight (11:51pm) which means I am officially done with this semester of school! For those who may not know I took a year and a half off from school after leaving my first school, so this was my first semester back as a full time student. It was definitely an adjustment but I am so glad to be back. I didn’t realize how much I actually enjoyed being a student until I took a break for awhile.
And while I am happy to be back in school I am also psyched that this semester is over and that it is summer time! This is going to be a great summer I am so excited for all I have planned! I will definitely be blogging more through out the summer so please follow so you can get all the up dates!
Let summer begin!